Monday, July 20, 2009

Celebrity Tragedy

So I haven't really thought of anything interesting lately worthy of blogging. Until.... the King of Pop died. I was discussing it with someone significantly younger than myself today. I'm only 27, but the different perspectives on celebrities was pretty interesting. I found myself sounding like my parents, ranting on and on about music that the kids never heard about.

I've decided just to throw my top 5 celebrity tragedies out there. This is only my personal perspective on tragedies that really hit me when I heard about them. I lumped some together just because I think they were similar.

#5 I'm going to go ahead and put the kings here. Michael Jackson and Elvis. MJ died at the age of 50, which is young, but maybe not so young when you think about his crazy life. I always thought the guy got a bad image. True, he was in some very questionable situations, and I'm not sure how "innocent" MJ was all of the time. But you have to recognize him as the King of Pop. Elvis, however, died at the age of 42. The aftermath and public response of the two kings seems to be similar. Perhaps wackos will claim Jacko faked his death and his image will live on for eternity on Hollywood Blvd. Why do I lump Jackson and Elvis together in the same tragedy? Because it's my blog and I feel like it.

#4 2Pac & Phil Hartman. The murdered guys get number 4. It was revealed just how thug 2Pac was and how insane Hartman's wife was. Truly tragic when each of these guys passed.

#3 Kurt Cobain. I remember being shocked by this one while in 2nd grade or so. Cobain was troubled, and it makes his music seem much more cutting to know where it was all leading. He was definitely the King of Grunge, and his music was probably the most influential of the 90's.

#2 John Lennon. This may have gotten #1 if it were actually Paul that was assassinated. No hate emails please; I just like Paul more.

#1 Big Bopper/Ritchie Valens/Buddy Holly. Hard to get more tragic than the day the music died.

No comments: